Life has a way of getting in the way. Just when everything is running along smoothly, something comes along to mess up the routine. That’s when you just keep on living without worrying about life. You go with the flow. As they say in France, C‘est la vie! I realized early last week there wouldn’t be an opportunity to write a blog post. I also missed out on four days of Yoga with Adriene. My body was functioning with less sleep than usual. And, none of the things “getting in the way” had anything to do with quilting.
But, I am back writing this week, and I have some great photos to show of the FMQ I completed two weeks ago. I quilted the center embroidered blocks in the Sew Sweet Simplicity quilt. I started by echo quilting a line around the embroidery design, then filled in the remainder of the background area with stippling. Then, I quilted organic designs inside the embroidery motifs to evenly fill the block centers with quilting stitches. Here are photos of each block.
I prefer to bury my threads, so I spent a couple of nights last week watching my new favorite series on Netflix, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, while knotting and pulling the thread ends into the quilt sandwich. The show is an Australian television drama that first aired 2/1/13. Set in the late 1950’s in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, where Dr. Lucien Blake solves crimes. I recommend it to anyone that likes period dramas.
Here’s a look at the Sew Sweet Simplicity quilting to date.
Still lots of quilting to accomplish, so no expectations of finishing in time to enter in the AQS GR show. There are other shows, so I will have to set a new deadline to keep me on track to finish this quilt.
Until next time…Happy quilting!
This week has been very productive. Early in the week I found time to hand quilt on the improvisational solids quilt. I appliqued a few more hearts on blocks for the Craftsy class project. The Sky Rocket blotto block is complete, although the dimensions are not accurate, but I am glad to have it done and will not fret over it’s imperfections.
Saturday, I attended an event at my LQS with my sister. The shop held a Baby Gathering event and offered several ideas and patterns for baby items. Of course, as a grandma, I couldn’t walk away without purchasing a kit to make something for one of my new grandsons.
But, my biggest accomplishment was basting my Sew Sweet Simplicity quilt top, a BOM by blogger Jacquelynne Steves over at The Art of Home. For smaller quilts, I like to pin baste on my wooden floor. I place the backing wrong side up on the floor and use painter’s tape to hold it in place. I make certain that the backing is smooth and taunt. Next, I add the batting. I opened a new package of Warm & Natural for this quilt top, placed it on top of the backing, then trimmed it even with the painter’s tape using regular scissors. Next, I folded the quilt top into quarters and centered it on top of the batting, unfolding it and smoothing it into place. The photos below show the flow of this process.
Backing taped to floor
Batting added on top
Quilt top smoothed over batting
Lastly, straddling the quilt, I place safety pins over the quilt top, every 3-5 inches around the blocks and along the borders. I decided to snap a photo of the quilt outside in the sunshine today. January was so dreary in Michigan, but the last couple of weeks have been wonderful. The natural light brightens the colors showcased in the quilt top.
Now my quilt is ready to for machine quilting, which I’ll complete on my Bernina. I am contemplating the designs I will use on the quilt to highlight the embroidery and fill the borders. My goal for this quilt is a finish in time to send an entry into the AQS Grand Rapids quilt show, deadline April 21st, so I will be doing a lot of quilting over the next month.
Well, that’s my weekly update showing progress on my quilting projects. Hopefully you have been able to find time for stitching, too.
Until next time…