Musings from the mind of a modern day Sue.

Posts tagged ‘bargello’

Riley Blake Challenge for MQG Completed

I’ve finished my Riley Blake Challenge quilt for The Modern Quilt Guild. I provided an overview of my design process in an earlier post. I used three-quarter inch white strips to separate the bargello strips, rather than more bargello strips, as the pattern called for. This variation, along with the improvisational borders add a modern look to this traditional pattern. I’m naming my creation Modern Bargello.

Modern Bargello - Riley Blake Challenge for The Modern Quilt Guild

Modern Bargello – Riley Blake Challenge for The Modern Quilt Guild

I designed the borders improvisationally. The batting was marked through the center to provide orientation lines for adding the bargello strips. Placement of the center bargello strip along the orientation line offset the design. I used this as an opportunity to make borders of different widths. I stitched extra fabric into sections similar to bargello units to use as two of the corners, while the other two corners used solid fabric pieces. White border strips with corners were added in a QAYG fashion, just as the bargello strips were added.

Center of Bargello

Center of Bargello

Top of Bargello

Top of Bargello

I quilted the borders to mimic the quilting on the back of the quilt, making two rows of straight stitching a quarter inch apart. I separated these rows of straight line quilting by different widths, just as the bargello strips are different widths. The stitching changed directions from corner to corner. A white binding was added to maintain the white color along the edge and keep the eye focused on the center of the quilt.

There’s still a lot of snow here in Michigan. I used the sunshine today to take a couple of outdoors photos.

Riley Blake Challenge-Modern BargelloRB Challenge-Modern Bargello

I am happy with the results of my challenge quilt. Enjoy!

Advertisements

Riley Blake MQG Challenge – Bargello Design

I have been diligently working on my RB challenge for the MQG over the last two weeks. It is my January WIP to finish. This project began when I signed up for the challenge last summer. When the fabrics arrived some time in October, I immediately began thinking about the design.

One of my personal challenges was figuring out how to make a quilt using only the fabrics I have in my stash. I have made a commitment to myself that I will not go out and buy new fabric unless I cannot find something in the correct size or colors to fit the pattern. Don’t misunderstand, I am still purchasing fabrics, but I’m not adding to the stash. For this project, I pulled out all my Kona solids and found several that worked well with the challenge fabrics.

I decided upon a bargello pattern that I adapted from Bargello Quilts, 1994, by Marge Edie. I took a class back in the 1990’s at a LQS and made a wall-hanging from the book. After perusing the book, I found a pattern that suited my fabric choices. I put a modern twist to the design by separating the bargello strips with a 1/4″ finished white strip. I also modified the bargello strip widths to accommodate the amount of fabric available. My sister looked over my design idea and we came up with two additional Kona solids from her stash to add into the mix. The result gives a full spectrum effect to the quilt. Here is a peek at the project so far.

RB Challenge Bargello progress

RB Challenge Bargello progress

RB Challenge Bargello side view

RB Challenge Bargello side view

I have plans to finish the sides by adding borders with different widths and adding a little bit of color in the corners with a square of solid fabric. Since bargello quilts are a QAYG, the process is nearly complete. I will do some additional FMQ in the negative space that the white borders provide.

Since I’m talking about bargello quilts, I thought I would share my quilt from 1997, Christmas Reflections; 28-1/2″ X 32-3/4″.

Christmas Reflections, 1997

Christmas Reflections, 1997

Back to my Bernina and the last two bargello strips, before adding borders. My first WIP of the year is nearly complete. Of course, binding and a label will be needed before it is totally complete.

Happy Stitching!

Tag Cloud