I took the day off from work today to sew with my sister. We finished adding the borders to our Dresdan Zoo baby quilt for our niece and her new baby daughter. You can follow along with the construction of this quilt in earlier posts HERE, HERE and HERE. We chose to add sashing between and around the outside of the blocks. This added six inches to the quilt dimensions, so the border strips needed to be longer than a WOF (width of fabric). Rather than adding a seam allowance to each border strip, we decided to add corner squares. We chose a light green, so as not to compete with the Dresdans. Next up, FMQ. Here’s a look at the finished quilt top.
We spent the remainder of the day selecting fabrics for another baby quilt. My sister’s son is the next family member expecting a baby. He will be a new father later this summer. We have selected a bow tie quilt pattern featured in Quilter’s World Summer 2014. The scrappy pattern uses 64 different fabrics, so we spent quite a bit of time searching through both our stashes; sorting and re-sorting fabrics to ensure a variety of tints and shades.
Here are a few more pics of the finished quilt top.
I finished out my Friday off work by stitching up my NQA April BOM (block of the month). But more about that in another post.