I’ve finished my Riley Blake Challenge quilt for The Modern Quilt Guild. I provided an overview of my design process in an earlier post. I used three-quarter inch white strips to separate the bargello strips, rather than more bargello strips, as the pattern called for. This variation, along with the improvisational borders add a modern look to this traditional pattern. I’m naming my creation Modern Bargello.
I designed the borders improvisationally. The batting was marked through the center to provide orientation lines for adding the bargello strips. Placement of the center bargello strip along the orientation line offset the design. I used this as an opportunity to make borders of different widths. I stitched extra fabric into sections similar to bargello units to use as two of the corners, while the other two corners used solid fabric pieces. White border strips with corners were added in a QAYG fashion, just as the bargello strips were added.
I quilted the borders to mimic the quilting on the back of the quilt, making two rows of straight stitching a quarter inch apart. I separated these rows of straight line quilting by different widths, just as the bargello strips are different widths. The stitching changed directions from corner to corner. A white binding was added to maintain the white color along the edge and keep the eye focused on the center of the quilt.
There’s still a lot of snow here in Michigan. I used the sunshine today to take a couple of outdoors photos.
I am happy with the results of my challenge quilt. Enjoy!