Musings from the mind of a modern day Sue.

I have been diligently working on my RB challenge for the MQG over the last two weeks. It is my January WIP to finish. This project began when I signed up for the challenge last summer. When the fabrics arrived some time in October, I immediately began thinking about the design.

One of my personal challenges was figuring out how to make a quilt using only the fabrics I have in my stash. I have made a commitment to myself that I will not go out and buy new fabric unless I cannot find something in the correct size or colors to fit the pattern. Don’t misunderstand, I am still purchasing fabrics, but I’m not adding to the stash. For this project, I pulled out all my Kona solids and found several that worked well with the challenge fabrics.

I decided upon a bargello pattern that I adapted from Bargello Quilts, 1994, by Marge Edie. I took a class back in the 1990′s at a LQS and made a wall-hanging from the book. After perusing the book, I found a pattern that suited my fabric choices. I put a modern twist to the design by separating the bargello strips with a 1/4″ finished white strip. I also modified the bargello strip widths to accommodate the amount of fabric available. My sister looked over my design idea and we came up with two additional Kona solids from her stash to add into the mix. The result gives a full spectrum effect to the quilt. Here is a peek at the project so far.

RB Challenge Bargello progress

RB Challenge Bargello progress

RB Challenge Bargello side view

RB Challenge Bargello side view

I have plans to finish the sides by adding borders with different widths and adding a little bit of color in the corners with a square of solid fabric. Since bargello quilts are a QAYG, the process is nearly complete. I will do some additional FMQ in the negative space that the white borders provide.

Since I’m talking about bargello quilts, I thought I would share my quilt from 1997, Christmas Reflections; 28-1/2″ X 32-3/4″.

Christmas Reflections, 1997

Christmas Reflections, 1997

Back to my Bernina and the last two bargello strips, before adding borders. My first WIP of the year is nearly complete. Of course, binding and a label will be needed before it is totally complete.

Happy Stitching!

About these ads

Comments on: "Riley Blake MQG Challenge – Bargello Design" (3)

  1. […] quilt for The Modern Quilt Guild. I provided an overview of my design process in an earlier post. I used three-quarter inch white strips to separate the bargello strips, rather than more bargello […]

  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE your challenge quilt top!! Amazing! Also, that Christmas Bargello is simply beautiful. Wow!

    • Thanks! I ran out of my aurifil white thread, so I’m on hold to finish the challenge until it arrives. Had to go to another project tonight. I have plenty on my WIP list to keep me busy.

Thank-you for your comment.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: